Our Chiropractors at The Melbourne Chiropractor have seen first hand that poor posture can cause devastating affects on the bodies musculoskeletal system for both young and older patients. What they have found is areas of dysfunction caused by poor posture have influenced problems such as degeneration, sprains or strains or even put people at risk of overuse type injuries.
How long you have had poor posture is not a reason to think it cannot be changed, the biggest issue, is how it was caused and what other underlying factors such as trauma or medical problems the patient is dealing with. Most times we find that posture can be improved within the first 8-12 weeks if it is a functional cause, although depending on the severity it may take up to 6 months to see changes in areas that are severely degenerated and affected by poor posture. Lifestyle factors and habits will also come in to play as forward posture at the desk from long hours can limit the amount of change from therapy.
What Is Considered Poor Posture?
- Forward head carriage
- Rolling of the shoulders (forward)
- Increased curve in the low back
- Increased curve in the upper/mid back
- In toeing of the feet
- Scoliosis / Kyphosis Curve
- Unbalanced hips and shoulders
Associated Problems Caused by Poor Posture?
- Neck Pain
- Upper Back Pain
- Low Back Pain
- Headaches / Migraines
- Chest Pain
- Shoulder Pain
- Lower Limb Pain (Hip Pain, Ankle Pain, Knee Pain)
Most Common Causes of Poor Posture
- Postural muscles weak within the area
- Sleeping Habits
- Lifestyle habits
- Previous Injury
- Desk Work
- Sedentary Activity
- Physical Job
- Heavy lifting or bending long periods
- Inappropriate shoe wear
Ways To Improve Posture
- Using a foam roller (Placed in between the shoulder blades and layed on for a minimum of 10 minutes)
- Chin Tucks
- Chest Stretching
- Core Exercises
- Changing Desk Position/Seating Positions at Work
- Increase Glute Activation
- Neck Stretches
- Upper Back Stretches
- Low Back Exercises and Stretches
How Can The Melbourne Chiropractor Help Your Posture?
- Chiropractic Adjustments
- Exercises and Rehab Prescription
- Dry Needling
- Referral to Remedial Massage Therapists
- Referral for X-Rays
Note* If you are currently suffering from postural issues the early you start the better off you will be. If you are wondering what we do on your first chiropractic session or would like to make a booking, you can always contact us to find out more! Online bookings also available 7 days a week @ https://themelbournechiropractor.com.au/book-now
Visit our Broadmeadows, Westmeadows or Fawkner Health Clinic Today!